Improve an outdated and inconsistent web experience across 3 different subdomains. Multiple site approach causing consistency issues for like content due to fragmented approach to the regulatory review process.
Design Lead: Responsible for the whole end-to-end experience
User research was conducted to gain deeper insights into what our users found valuable and we tested different user pathways throughout the website leading to high value actions including our main KPI of registration for our CRM streams. This research and review of our analytics, led to a number of insights that informed our designs including the following:
Improve user journey through navigation and content strategy to enable users to find the content they want.
Create more focused and digestible registration forms that enable a higher completion rate.
These key insights were central in defining our approach to each page within the site. Here are just a few of the different improvements we made in the new experience:
Based on the wireframes, research insights and brand guidelines we explored different visual designs for a homepage and secondary page. Photography, illustration, and icon elements were adopted from the overall brand for consistency with other branded materials in market. We explored some variation in prominence and hierarchy of elements to achieve two different design directions.
To create designs for all pages of the site we split them up into three groups so that we could introduce continuous feedback and refinement through the course of our full design process. With Abstract we were able to gather stakeholder feedback simultaneously and more quickly than with our previous method of building presentation documents in Acrobat. We also consulted with our client services and strategy counterparts to ensure we understood the requirements and were keeping our changes within the scope of the project. Some of this was done through ceremonies three times a week while other more in-depth conversations happened as needed.
Another challenge for this project was our shift from designing in Photoshop to Sketch. This presented an opportunity to infuse more product mindset into the team to support our system approach. I hosted several training sessions to supplement team learning and teach both how to work in our Sketch files and how to edit the library in Abstract. The learning curve was steep but the team was enthusiastic to learn a better tool to design for the web and welcomed the challenge.
The launch of the new site was a major milestone for the brand. The new look of the site replaced a design that was five years old that contained a number of outdated design patterns. We pioneered new workflows with our internal team as well as the external development team and set a promising foundation for future sprints to iterate on existing content and functionality.
Just like any other product, we need to iterate and improve it over time. While numerous business needs drive the content of the site, we continue to make recommendations to improve other aspects of the experience including: